Monday, March 25, 2013

Amy's Cafe



Nestled among the Five Point strip lies a new little cafe called Amy's. Their menu offers unique sandwiches, salads, smoothies, breakfast items, daily specials AND they are also vegetarian/vegan friendly! Whilst perusing the menu a tempeh Reuben caught my eye and I simply could not resist! I am not even entirely sure if I like Ruebens but it was freaky and vegetarian so it was settled. While entering I was kindly greeted by several employees and was told to take a seat anywhere, the atmosphere was cozy and inviting and I noticed that there was a bookcase displaying local honey for sale! We started off with a special which was a mushroom yogurt pie with spinach crust, I didn't post a picture because the way it looked does not nearly reflect how tasty it was! My friend (the spinach hater) loooved it and if that's not enough to convince anyone than I don't know what is! This pie was creamy and rich without over indulging the pallet and it left you wanting more.

To view their menu click here

Fresh baked cookies, breads, and muffins towards the entrance of the place...


When my Reuben arrived I was pleased to see that the bread was panini pressed and grilled to crispy perfection (there's nothing worse than a soggy sandwich). The flavor was spot on and the sauerkraut wasn't too bitter and overpowering (which has made me fear Reubens in the past). Yet again, my non-vegetarian friend LOVED this so for all you carnivores out there, don't shy away from this! The ratatouille was fresh and delicious as well and I personally appreciated this rare side item.

Tempeh Rueben on marble rye with sauerkraut, daiya, mayo, and cheese with a side of ratatouille...




My friend ordered the Club sandwich with loaded baked potato soup. She said her sandwich was good but she actually preferred the Reuben! The soup was creamy and flavorful with generous chunks of hearty potato goodness in every bite.



Overall I am a big fan of this new little addition to the Five Points area. The staff is friendly and the food is good! The portions are pretty big and believe me, it tastes just as good in leftover form! I highly suggest you check out this gem of a place.



UPDATE

I made a return visit and they have since updated the decor (painted, added some larger tables and what not). Pictured here is the vegetarian salad with almonds, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and feta cheese with house made vinaigrette. It was VERY tasty and filling!



Here was another daily special, a ham and cheddar panini with apple butter and house made potato salad - very tasty! My only complaint was that the potato salad lacked salt but you could easily add that at your table.



Amy's Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I love it when cafes live up to expectations!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...