Monday, July 22, 2013

Infamous Vegan Kitchen Finally Sought Out!

My friend in Jax has been talking about this magical vegan kitchen by the name of Ethos for years now. I heard tale of delicious sandwiches, hearty entrees, tempting salads, and scrumptious desserts. When Lewis had to travel down to Orlando for a conference I finally had the perfect excuse to scout this place out...


Among countless restaurants in Winter Park Florida, Ethos definitely stands on it's own as far as cuisine goes. It is not too common to find a place that serves strictly alllll vegan cuisine, yes, that means no eggs, no cheese, no animal products whatsoever! Heyyy now, I feel your judgement vibes! Don't knock it until you try it!


To view their menu, click here

For an appetizer we ordered the "Healthy Trio" which was listed as a favorite on the menu. It was a plate filled to the max with black and green olive tapenade (basically just an olive spread), housemade hummus, and tomato-mango salsa served with toasted bread, blue corn tortilla chips and cucumber, carrot and celery sticks. Sounds simple but man was it good. MY favorite part of the dish had to be the bread, it was warm and chewy and it paired well with everything. The mango salsa was both sweet and spicy, and the hummus was creamy and smooth, pairing especially well with the veggies.



For my entree I decided on the "What's the Dilly, Philly?" I choose it because #1, I really wanted to say that name out loud (hehe) and #2 it was recommended by both my friend and my waiter (I ordered it on wheat bread instead of the Philly roll). This sammich was piled high with sauteed red and green bell peppers, marinated seitan grilled with onions and veganaise spread all squished together in between two toasted pieces of bread. I have never had a "real" Philly cheese steak to compare it to but I would imagine this would come pretty close! The flavor of the seitan was spot on, the texture was perfect and very beef like, my mom (who was determined not to have any fake meat) even liked it! My only complaint is that I wish they would slice up the seitan thinner instead of leaving them in bigger chunks, that way it would better resemble a cheese steak and it might hold together a little better whilst eating it.

(Also pictured, side of fruit)


Mom ordered the "Pumpkin seed pesto pasta" which was also a well known favorite. It was comprised of penne pasta sautéed in a creamy pesto sauce and tossed with tomatoes, squash and zucchini and garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds. One of the reasons she choose to order this is because it didn't come with any "fake meat" but after tasting my sandwich, she wishes she had been more open. This pasta was just okay for me, the sauce was on the bland side and after sitting out for a while the texture became almost gummy (I don't know if it was a side effect of the vegan cheese or what) this definitely wasn't a favorite of mine.


Lewis ordered the "Sheep's Pie" which is a meat-free version of Shepherd's Pie with sautéed onions, carrots, broccoli and peas smothered in gravy, covered with mashed potatoes and oven-baked to perfection. Served with Potato-Chive bread a.k.a the same delicious bread that came with the appetizer above. Lewis choose to add the "Chickun" to it which I felt was a wise choice because it added some extra flavor and texture to the dish (you have a choice of adding seitan or chickun to any dish).


I am SO glad I FINALLY had the chance to check out Ethos Vegan Kitchen, it truly is a one of kind place that will hopefully turn more people on to vegan cuisine.

Ethos Vegan Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think, I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...